Thursday, September 11, 2008

Coalition of the Willing

I know that Inconvenience is conveniently interested in the implications of the online world to political theory, philosophy and the such. I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in this, and if they'd like to form some kind of coalition to pursue it. Concepts of privacy, surveillance, marketing and online ethics play into this as well, so anyone concerned with those topics could join in too . . . as long as you're not put off by abstractions and the late-night brainstorming sessions I'm so fond of.

4 comments:

MjW said...

Google has a new device, called google mapping. A few have chosen to map out all the surveillance cameras that Chicago had installed in high-traffic locations (the loop, Lincoln Park, Whicker park, and Wrigley field) Is this immoral? Is this handing terrorists crucial information or does it just not matter? I believe this is definitely an ethical question in terms of surveillance, but the ethical question this time lies with the surveillanced.
-Matt

J said...

frankly, I think a great project would be for students to use this for a subversive mapping project; terrorists are not the biggest threat the US faces. Authoritarianism, the assault on civil liberties, the policing of the citizenry are now part of our daily lives. This is not a constitutional regime.

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

While I am more interested in pursuing a different project, I think you have a great idea. I would be interested to hear what you learn about.

Prof. Dean has a great and interesting idea. Would be cool to see how that would turn out.

I will skip the late night blogging session. Sorry, I just can't make it that late!

Sam

Max said...

I am in for this kind of group, I get all my best ideas after midnight. PS the group I'm in now is meeting at 9:30 in the atrium today(Sunday) if you want it.